Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Vacation

We just returned from a week down in Florida visiting family and getting in some beach time.
Siesta Key is one of the best beaches in the country with sand like powdered sugar and amazing sunsets.

siesta key sunset

Thor loved playing on the beach and splashing around in the pool.

I didn't get any bike time, but I did do one run. It was supposed to be a 3 mile jog, but turned into a 6 mile sufferfest due to some inaccurate information. I felt great for the first half hour, but my legs were hurting the last bit. They're still a little sore, but getting better.

This time last year I had done a lot of training and a nice block of Spring races. This year I've been having fun on my mountain bike working on technical skills like jumps, drops, and riding skinnies.

Now it's time to start doing a bit of training to awake the legs from their slumber and prepare for some mountain bike racing. That means I'll be getting dropped early and often on the Tuesday Ronde, but ya gotta start somewhere.

I figure by the time cross season rolls around I'll either be really fresh or really slow. I've got an amazing CX training loop in the park next to my house so that should help. I'd much rather do intervals on a cyclocross track than on the trainer or road.

It looks like I'll be kicking off my racing season with the 12 Hours of Lodi Farm. Melanie and I are planning on racing as a duo team. This should be a fun way to jump start the training and soak up some of that tasty mtb vibe. I'm missing doing some of the better road races, but overall I'm really enjoying my plan to take it easy in the early season. There's more to life than bike racing and finding the right balance makes everything more fun.

2 comments:

Fort James said...

April 30th

Greenbrier State Park

You gotta' be there!

MD State Championship up for grabs.

Chris said...

arrrrgh...got family in town that weekend. i'm not sure if i can sneak out, but if i can i'll be there.