Friday, June 30, 2006

Kaboom!!!

The Tour just exploded!

With the consensus top two of Ullrich & Basso suspended and withdrawn from the TdF who are the favorites now?

Vino, Valverde, Cadel, Floyd, Levi?

Shit, maybe someone like Simoni or Mayo will rise from the ashes.

Will there be other revelations during the tour? Kaboooooom!

Although I'm bummed about what's happening it should make for an interesting three weeks with a wide open race and more melodrama than a soap opera.

It does seem that a good chunk of the peloton is doped up to their eyeballs and this could be a watershed event for the sport. Will there finally be some major changes?

If so, which way will it go?

-Shorter, less brutal races that don't require athletes to resort to cheating? Maybe this works if they can implement a testing protocol that actually works.

-Legalize everything and let the best athlete with the best medical program win?

I've never been under any illusion that these guys are completely clean. That doesn't take away from my enjoyment of watching the races.

I enjoy riding and racing my bike. I'm glad that I don't have to make a living doing it, because it seems like it's a lose-lose proposition. You either race clean and watch the cheaters denigrate your efforts...or you join the cheaters, lie through your teeth, and try to ignore your conscience.
Something tells me that all the bullshit would take away from the joy of riding a bike.

On to a happier subject...only 86 days until the 'cross season opener here in Charm City!

3 comments:

Harlan Price said...

Chris,
Harlan Here.
So wow!!
Thank you so much. I was just starting to feel bad about even asking for help, and was thinking about pulling the plea. I don't have an e-mail address for you so if you could send one my way that would be great. I'm trying to keep a daily post from the tour de burg on my blog. Check it if your interested. I'm wining right now.
It's time for me to go to bed. Big day tomarrow.

Thanks again for the help.
I'll talk more later.
Harlan

Chris said...

I agree. The tour is wide open now.

HEFOLY said...

Word! Body Building now has a clean class, and the guys are much smaller. Maybe the tour should have a "Clean" jersey!