Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Do you remember?

On the ride last night I had some old school tunes going through my head. In high school one of my favorite bands was Husker Du. Back then the energy of the music and the emotion of the lyrics was the perfect soundtrack for the anxieties of high school life. These days the words are poetic and offer a glimpse back at those days, but they don't connect with me the same way. I'm just in a different place. However, the music still gets me going. The driving rhythm and searing guitar are good fuel for putting the hammer down on the bike.

I was into punk and indie rock back then, but I didn't relate to the so-called "punks" in my area. They were more into image. I was too much of a dork to care about image or what my hair looked like or what t-shirt I had on, but I really had an affinity for the music and the ethos. I think it helped encourage me to use my brain, question things, and think for myself. High school was ok, but I really didn't enjoy it.

I did have an amazing group of close friends and together we managed to work hard and also have a lot of fun...mostly playing street hockey!

It's good to look back and think about where we were, see where we are now, and dream about where we'll be in the future. It's also important to have a good soundtrack...enjoy the ride!

No comments: